- 1 How to infuse moonshine with cranberries
- 2 Preparation of berries
- 3 How many cranberries are needed per liter of moonshine
- 4 Cranberry tincture on moonshine at home
- 5 Cranberry moonshine - the best recipe for 3 liters
- 6 A quick recipe for tincture on moonshine
- 7 Cranberry liqueur on moonshine
- 8 Conclusion
Despite the abundance and variety of alcoholic beverages on the official sale, home production guarantees quality, and an attractive taste and color can be obtained through fruit and berry additives. So, home-made cranberry moonshine is not only really tasty, but also a healthy drink.
How to infuse moonshine with cranberries
Cranberry itself is one of the most healing Russian berries. And in the manufacture of alcoholic beverages, an important role is also played by the fact that it neutralizes unpleasant odors and softens the taste of moonshine. And the color of the finished tincture is very attractive.
There are several ways to infuse moonshine on cranberries.
- The berries are ground with sugar and then poured over with alcohol.
- Another way: the berries are poured with moonshine entirely, without crushing, but only pricking them to extract juice.
- The method of repeated pouring with alcohol, followed by mixing all the infusions, is often used.
If cranberries from the forest are used, then before pouring with moonshine, they are often additionally infused with sugar, causing natural fermentation. This softens the taste of the finished tincture and further enhances its aroma.
Therefore, it is useless to pre-start the process of fermentation with sugar - the berries can only deteriorate.
Preparation of berries
In order for the cranberry to give all its best properties to the drink, it must be fully ripe. That is, the color of the berries should be red, the surface should be shiny, translucent. Often in autumn, cranberries are harvested still unripe, pinkish and even whitish - this greatly facilitates the assembly process and especially transportation. So the berries are much less choked and better retain their shape. But there is nothing wrong with that, because cranberries are among those berries that ripen perfectly in rooms. You just need to spread it out in one layer on paper in a well-ventilated darkened room and after 5-6 days the berries will fully ripen, color and acquire the desired juicy consistency.
Frozen berries are also quite suitable for making tinctures. Moreover, cranberries that have survived the freeze become juicy in taste and are suitable for infusion. Therefore, some winemakers even specifically advise placing cranberries in the freezer for several hours before insisting on alcoholic beverages.
If the origin of the berries is unknown or they were purchased frozen in a supermarket, the cranberries must be washed in running water before use. If the berries were obtained in the forest with their own hands or through friends, then it is enough to sort them out, separating spoiled specimens and plant debris. It is not recommended to wash them, so as not to wash off the so-called "wild" yeast from the surface of the berries.
It is also desirable to use moonshine of good quality, double distillation. The recommended strength of moonshine for making a tincture is 40-45 ° С.
How many cranberries are needed per liter of moonshine
According to different recipes, the amount of cranberries used per liter of moonshine can vary quite a lot. The classic recipe calls for adding 500 g of whole berries to 1 liter of moonshine.In this case, a very tasty and aromatic tincture is obtained, which is drunk almost as easily as cranberry juice, even if its strength is about 40 ° C.
According to many other recipes, it is believed that about 160 g of cranberries per liter of alcohol are enough to obtain a high-quality and very tasty drink. There is also a recipe for an almost healing tincture, in which about 3 kg of cranberries are used per liter of moonshine. True, moonshine is also taken with a strength of about 60 ° C, in order to then dilute it with sugar syrup.
Cranberry tincture on moonshine at home
For the standard method of making cranberry tincture on moonshine, you will need the following components:
- 500 g of cranberries;
- 1 liter of refined moonshine;
- 50 g granulated sugar;
- 100 ml of filtered water.
The preparation of the tincture consists of several stages:
- Pour the prepared cranberries into a clean and dry glass jar.
- Grind with a wooden spoon or rolling pin until a homogeneous puree is obtained.
- Add moonshine, shake well.
- Close with a lid and put in a warm place without light for 14-15 days.
- Periodically, once every 2 days, the tincture must be shaken, stirring the contents.
- Then it is filtered through 3 or 4 layers of gauze. You can also use a cotton filter. The cake is carefully squeezed out.
- At the same time, a syrup is prepared by completely dissolving the sugar in boiling water and removing the resulting foam.Important! In this recipe, sugar syrup can be replaced with liquid honey in the same amount (about 150 ml).
- Cool the syrup and add it to the strained tincture, stir well.
- At the last stage, the tincture is placed in a cold place (refrigerator or cellar) for at least a day. But if you keep it in the cold for about 30-40 days, the taste of the drink will improve.
If the cranberries came from a reliable natural source, then the recipe can be slightly modified:
- The berries are mixed with the prescribed amount of sugar and left in a warm place for 2-3 days to ferment.
- As soon as a whitish foam appears on the top of the berries, they are transferred to a glass jar and poured with moonshine.
- Then they act in a standard way, but the infusion time can be increased to a month.
- After straining and filtering sugar syrup, if you have to add it, then only to taste, when the tincture is too acidic.
Cranberry moonshine - the best recipe for 3 liters
According to this recipe, cranberry moonshine turns out to be very fragrant, although it requires a little more attention.
To make the finished tincture about 3 liters, you need the following ingredients:
- 500 g cranberries;
- 2200 ml of 60% purified moonshine;
- 500 ml of water, preferably spring water or, in extreme cases, boiled;
- 200 g of sugar.
The tincture making process is as follows.
- The berries are pierced in several places with a needle. To simplify the process, you can knit 3-4 needles together.Comment! If there are not very many berries, then this process will not take much time and effort, but later you will not have to suffer with repeated filtration.
- Whole chopped berries are poured into a dry and clean three-liter jar and 600 ml of moonshine are poured so that it only slightly covers them with itself.
- Close with a lid and insist for about 7 days in a dark and warm place, shaking the contents of the jar every day.
- Then the resulting tincture is poured through cheesecloth into another jar, set aside in a cool place.
- Another 600 ml of moonshine is added to the first jar with berries and insisted for about 5 days.
- Then it is again poured into a second jar.
- Add 1000 ml of moonshine to the first jar, insist for another 5 days.
- It is again poured into the second jar, and water is added to the first.
- Insist for 3 days, after which sugar is added and the aqueous solution is slightly heated until the sugar is completely dissolved, but not higher than + 50 ° C.
- All infusions are poured together through a filter. It is enough to use a dense single gauze as a filter.
- Mix thoroughly and leave to infuse for at least 2-3 days.
- The tincture is ready, although its taste will only improve over time.
A quick recipe for tincture on moonshine
In principle, cranberry moonshine can be prepared very quickly - literally in 3-4 hours. Of course, some of the nutrients will be lost from heat treatment, but the tincture can be prepared when the guests are almost on the doorstep.
You will need:
- 300 g of cranberries;
- 700 ml of moonshine;
- 150 ml of water;
- 150 g granulated sugar.
The cooking process is just right for a beginner.
- The berries are scalded with boiling water, the water is drained, and the cranberries are poured into a jar, sugar is added and ground with a wooden spoon.
- Moonshine is poured into a jar, insisted for 2 hours.
- Filter the tincture through a double layer of gauze, squeeze it out so that not a drop of liquid remains on the gauze.
- Boil water and cool to a temperature of + 40 ° С - + 45 ° С ..
- Add water to the tincture, stir well.
- Refrigerate and pour into clean bottles.
- The resulting tincture can be stored in the refrigerator with the stopper closed for up to 12 months.
Cranberry liqueur on moonshine
Pouring is traditionally done by fermenting the berry mass with sugar and then fixing it with strong alcohol. But recently, frozen cranberries are more common, and it is already very difficult to make them ferment. After all, wild yeast is already absent on it, and it is not always convenient to prepare a special leaven. An excellent way out of the situation is a recipe for liqueur, more reminiscent of a tincture. This drink is suitable for women as it has a strength of about 20-25 ° C.
To make it you will need:
- 500 g cranberries;
- 1 liter of 60% purified moonshine;
- 1 liter of water;
- 1 kg of sugar;
- 2-3 dry mint leaves;
- 1 tsp chopped galangal root (Potentilla).
Manufacturing will be time-consuming, but the result is worth it.
- Grind the cranberries with a wooden spoon, add chopped galangal and mint and fill with moonshine.
- The contents of the jar are mixed, covered with a lid and placed in a warm room without light for 2 weeks.
- After 2 weeks, sugar syrup is prepared from sugar and water, cooled and mixed with cranberry tincture.
- It is kept in the same place for about 10 more days.
- Filter the finished tincture through several layers of gauze and a cotton filter.
- The filling can be stored in a cool place under a tightly closed lid for about 3 years.
Homemade cranberry moonshine turns out to be very tasty and aromatic. There is practically no specific taste in it and it is not at all difficult to prepare it, and according to some recipes it is very fast.