- 1 Greenhouse work in autumn after harvest
- 2 Preparing the greenhouse for winter in autumn
- 3 Greenhouse cleaning
- 4 Soil replacement or disinfection
- 5 Processing a polycarbonate greenhouse in the fall
- 5.1 How to process a greenhouse in the fall after harvest
- 5.2 Processing the greenhouse in the fall from pests and diseases
- 5.3 How to prepare a greenhouse for winter: processing after a tomato
- 5.4 How to prepare a greenhouse for winter: disinfection after cucumbers
- 5.5 How to prepare a greenhouse for winter: how to process the frame and coatings
- 6 How to strengthen a polycarbonate greenhouse for the winter
- 7 Greenhouse insulation for the winter
- 8 Preparing the greenhouse for winter: advice from summer residents
- 9 Conclusion
Many inexperienced gardeners and vegetable growers stubbornly adhere to the opinion that preparing a polycarbonate greenhouse in the fall for winter is a boring, useless waste of time. In fact, this is a very important event, since it is during this period that maximum soil cultivation is required from small parasites, fungal spores, which, in the absence of proper agricultural treatments, will manifest themselves next year during the germination of crops. To find out how to properly prepare a polycarbonate greenhouse for winter, you must carefully study all the recommendations presented and follow them.
Greenhouse work in autumn after harvest
Before you start processing the greenhouse in the fall, you need to read the instructions that will help you properly and efficiently prepare for the winter and prevent fatal mistakes. The main types of work in the fall after harvest are:
- cleaning the room from plant residues;
- disinfection of the frame and covering material;
- treatment with appropriate drugs for the prevention of diseases, pests;
- replacing the soil with fertilizers and other necessary means;
- repair, strengthening of the greenhouse, which includes monitoring the strength of all elements of the building.
Optional work, which includes treatment, equipment replacement or improvement, should be carried out as needed. A full range of such events takes place every year in the autumn.
Preparing the greenhouse for winter in autumn
To find out how to process a polycarbonate greenhouse in the fall, you need to arm yourself with instructions that tell you step by step about all the required processes:
- Cleaning of the greenhouse building in the fall.
- Disinfection of the greenhouse.
- Disinfection of soil, its digging, heating, loosening, replacement of the upper layer of the earth.
- Strengthening the frame and other work related to redevelopment or improvement of a polycarbonate building.
Proper preparation in the fall will make it possible to operate the premises for more than one year in the future and use it for their own purposes.
Harvesting in the fall should be done only after the entire crop has been harvested. All aboveground, underground parts of annual plants must be removed and the beds must be completely cleaned of anything that may interfere with cleanliness.
Disposal of plant waste consists in burning it or burying it in other areas. If during the period of growth and development the plant did not observe any deviations, and it was not affected by various diseases or pests, then its remains can be used to replenish the compost pit. And there are also organizations that are engaged in the removal of such garbage. Perennial plants are also amenable to revision.They need to be examined for the presence of symptoms of the disease, make sure they are absent, remove all damaged specimens.
Soil replacement or disinfection
After thorough harvesting, the stage of replacement, tillage begins. This is a laborious process that requires maximum effort. Many neglect this point and in vain, since the quality and quantity of the future harvest depends on it. Therefore, replacing the soil in the fall is required every year, without exception.
First, the top layer should be treated with chemicals aimed specifically at treating the soil in the fall. After that, remove the top layer no more than 15 centimeters in depth. The soil can be attributed to an open area of soil, poured under fruit, ornamental trees.
After that, you need to think about how to replenish greenhouse beds with soil. It is difficult enough to create an ideal fertile soil in a short period of time. There are two ways:
- Buy a certain amount of new fertilized soil, but not everyone has the opportunity to find a place where it is sold in large quantities and deliver it, although this method is more economical in time.
- Prepare yourself, but for this you need to know the condition of the soil and, depending on this, choose the main components of the future soil. This also requires purchasing large quantities of fertilizers and mixing them correctly.
Everyone has the right to independently decide whether to buy ready-made soil, trusting professionals, or independently determine which means to use. In the second case, you can be completely confident in the quality of the new soil, but in the first - not always. Unscrupulous sellers can provide soil that has been heavily used over the past summer.
Before filling a new layer in the greenhouse, it is necessary to carry out processing and disinfection with certain chemicals, fumigation with sulfur.
Processing a polycarbonate greenhouse in the fall
Greenhouse treatment in autumn is very important. But before starting it, you need to familiarize yourself with a set of measures that will ensure a good harvest next season.
How to process a greenhouse in the fall after harvest
It will seem difficult for many to prepare the greenhouse for the new season in the fall, but it is not recommended to ignore this process. In the fall, immediately after harvesting, it is necessary to prepare the soil and start processing the structure itself. Treatments that need to be carried out in cool dry weather include:
- complete cleaning of the polycarbonate greenhouse;
- general cleaning, removal of the remaining fertile crops, weeds;
- processing of all surfaces from the inside;
- renovation of the building if necessary;
- replacement of greenhouse soil, disinfection and soil cultivation;
- strengthening of a polycarbonate structure, insulation, lighting.
Compliance with the sequence and the obligatory fulfillment of each item in the fall is the key to a rich harvest next year.
Processing the greenhouse in the fall from pests and diseases
Treatment of all surfaces of the greenhouse in the fall provides for getting rid of possible diseases and pests. Since microorganisms, the cells that contribute to their proliferation, can settle on the walls of the room. Processing is carried out in several stages:
- Removal from the polycarbonate greenhouse, removal of ground and underground plant residues, digging up the soil.
- Washing away dirt from surfaces with a spray hose.
- Preparing a soapy solution and washing walls and ceilings with a sponge.
- Cleaning of cracks, knots with a special brush.
- Pouring clean water over a polycarbonate greenhouse.
- Drying the room with a dry cloth.
Read more about the correct processing of polycarbonate greenhouses in the fall:
How to prepare a greenhouse for winter: processing after a tomato
Prepare a polycarbonate greenhouse for the winter after the tomato should be started in October.In this case, you must follow a certain sequence of actions:
- Removing all vegetation. After the growth of tomatoes, many residues remain, which are sometimes difficult to notice, but they must be gotten rid of without fail.
- Replacement of the top layer of soil. Spores of fungi and larvae of pests could remain in it, which in the future can settle on plants and lead to the death of the crop.
- Digging of soil and disinfection. This procedure helps to finally get rid of possible problems for subsequent vegetation.
- Frame processing and coatings with gray and bleach.
When disinfecting and processing a polycarbonate greenhouse, you must adhere to all safety rules and carry out the procedure only in a protective suit.
How to prepare a greenhouse for winter: disinfection after cucumbers
Preparing a polycarbonate greenhouse for winter in the fall after cucumbers is practically no different from the previous system with tomatoes:
- spring-cleaning, recultivation of beds. Removing all vegetation, replacing the top layer, digging the earth.
- Disinfection of the site. This stage should be given more time and use sulfur bombs, bleach or biological products.
- Greenhouse processing made of polycarbonate. Washing of panels, which will allow snow to melt freely in the future.
In case of deformation of the structure, strengthen it, strengthen the frame, with a polycarbonate thickness of 4–6 mm.
How to prepare a greenhouse for winter: how to process the frame and coatings
Preparing a greenhouse for winter involves careful processing of the structure from the inside and outside. Wash the metal and PVC polycarbonate greenhouse frame with hot water combined with vinegar in a ratio of 1: 0.05. It is better to wipe the wooden frame with a solution of copper sulfate (10%).
It is better to treat the polycarbonate coating with a solution of potassium permanganate. Watering must be carried out carefully, not missing a single centimeter, both outside and inside. After processing, make a draft and drain the structure.
How to strengthen a polycarbonate greenhouse for the winter
Preparing a polycarbonate greenhouse for winter includes a thorough inspection of the structure for damage and breakdowns. It is likely that they may simply be invisible. Corrosion and mold can be found on the frame. To strengthen the structure, you can use duplicate arcs or supports. As a preventive measure, the frame must be periodically cleaned and wiped with special compounds. The covering material, in this case polycarbonate, also needs strengthening. Inexpensive options are produced with a thickness of only 4 mm. In this case, the building will not stand even for a year. It will be much more economical to use a thicker set from 6 to 8 mm.
In the future, when various breakdowns and defect are found, you should immediately find out the cause of their occurrence so that you do not encounter them anymore.
Greenhouse insulation for the winter
Maintenance of a polycarbonate greenhouse in winter is also carried out, since the structure requires additional protection when cold weather sets in. It is necessary to prepare the greenhouse for winter in advance so that there are no problems with a sharp cold snap.
Whether to open the greenhouse for the winter
It is necessary to close a polycarbonate greenhouse for the winter only if it is planned to grow various crops, since they require a normal temperature regime. And in the absence of such plans, you need to leave the door open.
Do I need snow in a greenhouse in winter
One of the mandatory aspects of caring for a polycarbonate greenhouse in winter is the mechanical introduction of snow. Without it, the earth will freeze, and it will be difficult to grow anything. When it gets warmer, the snow melts and is absorbed into the ground. This will moisturize and prepare the soil for further planting.
How to insulate a polycarbonate greenhouse for the winter
Warming in the fall can be done in several ways:
- Foam glass. The material is quite stable and will perfectly cope with excess moisture and rodent visits. The only drawback is the cost, since not every gardener can afford it.
- Sealing joints. Small holes are the main problem with heat loss, so sealing joints will be useful in any case.
- Vestibule equipment. This will help to regulate the temperature so that a sudden cold snap or warming does not affect the regime inside the greenhouse.
The process of insulating a polycarbonate greenhouse is long and rather difficult, besides, the implementation of the idea is often impossible due to lack of funds. But still, this stage should not be ignored.
Preparing the greenhouse for winter: advice from summer residents
Before making preparations, you need to carefully understand all the processes and study the advice of those who have been doing this for more than a year:
- There is no need to be afraid to leave the structure open for the winter and bring snow there yourself. This procedure will have a positive effect on the soil, moisturize it and prepare it for further planting.
- It is best to use soft sponges or brushes to clean the polycarbonate cover so as not to scratch it.
- Periodically, it is worth treating the frame so that various fungi or lichens do not appear on it, which will then be difficult to get rid of.
- To warm up the earth and get rid of microorganisms, it is recommended to water it with boiling water.
Proper preparation for the winter of a polycarbonate greenhouse will allow you to operate the structure for many years to come.
Preparing a polycarbonate greenhouse in the fall for winter includes many complex and time-consuming processes, but it should not be neglected in any case. Correct processing of the structure is the key to a high-quality generous harvest in the future.