- 1 Pros and cons of a transformer bench with a canopy
- 2 Types of transformer benches with a canopy
- 3 What you need to assemble a transformer bench with a canopy
- 4 Drawings and dimensions of a transformer bench with a canopy
- 5 How to make a do-it-yourself transforming bench with a canopy
- 6 Registration of a transformer bench with a canopy
- 7 Conclusion
A folding garden bench, which easily converts a set of a table and two benches, will come in handy in a summer cottage or garden plot. A transforming bench with a canopy is convenient, practical, and with proper design it can become a "star" of landscape design. There are relatively simple models made of wooden boards and beams. The more complicated option involves the use of a metal frame and polycarbonate for the canopy.
Pros and cons of a transformer bench with a canopy
A garden bench is an indispensable attribute of most household plots. It is pleasant to relax on it after working in the garden or chores around the house. But for favorite gatherings in the fresh air with barbecue, one bench is not enough, you also need a table. And this is where the problems begin: even in large areas, there is not always room for a permanently installed table. This is a rather bulky piece of furniture, it obstructs the passage, takes up a useful area that can be planted with flowers or vegetables.
One of the options for resolving the issue is a transforming bench. This is a folding bench that, when unfolded, turns into a whole set of furniture: a table plus two benches. And if you arrange a canopy above the collapsible structure, then neither rain nor sun will interfere with a pleasant rest.
The advantages of the transformer bench include:
- Profitability. There is no need to set aside a separate table space.
- Mobility. The bench can be installed anywhere, instantly turning any corner of the site into a place for a pleasant stay.
- Compactness. When folded, the transforming bench does not take up much space; it can even be removed to a shed or other utility room (if the canopy is removable).
- Protection. The canopy will protect vacationers from precipitation or strong sun, protect the dishes placed on the table from moisture or spoilage.
The disadvantages of a folding bench are closely related to its advantages:
- Instability. The canopy has a large windage. In regions with strong winds, the entire structure may overturn. Soft soil in the place where the bench is installed can lead to the same consequences. This implies the need to install a stationary transforming bench, which deprives it of mobility.
- Lack of comfort. In order for the transforming bench to be really comfortable, all its parts must be carefully processed, fitted to each other. The slightest discrepancy in dimensions, angles, lack of fasteners will entail problems during assembly and disassembly, inconvenience of sitting space, deviation from the horizontal of the table surface. To create a truly comfortable shop, you need certain knowledge and skills.
Over time, the movable joints of the transforming bench can become loose, which makes its use unsafe and inconvenient. In addition, benches and a table, rigidly mounted between themselves, will not allow you to easily sit down and get up. To get a seat at the table, every time you have to move over the bench, which is not particularly convenient for the elderly or not very healthy people.
Types of transformer benches with a canopy
The most popular type of transforming benches is a folding structure that, when unfolded, turns into a set of two benches and a table. Stationary awnings, as a rule, are installed above the transforming bench.
The rest of the types of transformers look very original, but they lose to the previous version in functionality: in the unfolded state, some form only a set of seats or a seating area and a small table. Types of transformers of unusual design:
- Transformer constructor. On a frame made of metal pipes, wooden elements are attached that can be freely rotated. When folded, the furniture looks like an ordinary garden bench, when unfolded it is a set of two wide seats, a wide armchair and a small table or a set of narrow armchairs and a table between them.
- Transformer - "flower". The design principle resembles the previous version - wooden elements rotate freely on an axis. When folded it is a long bench without a back, when unfolded it is a comfortable bench with a back that can be fixed at any angle.
As a rule, unusual transformers are not equipped with built-in canopies, but they can be installed anywhere, including under a stationary canopy. The advantage of original designs is in their decorativeness and mobility. Such furniture is not only installed outdoors. The absence of a bulky canopy allows you to turn these benches into furniture for a country or country house.
What you need to assemble a transformer bench with a canopy
The assembly of the purchased product is carried out in accordance with the instructions. You only need tools (screwdriver, screwdriver). It is much more difficult to make a collapsible transforming bench yourself. To make a garden transformer bench with a canopy with your own hands you will need:
- drawings with exact dimensions;
- tools, fasteners;
- boards, beams or pipes.
Measurements are made using a tape measure, square, plumb line or level. To work on metal, you need a welding machine, a hacksaw, a pipe bending machine.
It is better to choose metal pipes for the frame of the transforming bench with a square section with a protective galvanized coating. A 20 mm pine board is suitable for the table top and seating. If the frame is also supposed to be made of wood, then a beam of hard wood is needed (oak, beech, larch).
Drawings and dimensions of a transformer bench with a canopy
Optimal dimensions for transformer benches:
- table height 75-80 cm;
- table width 60-65 cm;
- seats 30 cm;
- length 160-180 cm.
How to make a do-it-yourself transforming bench with a canopy
In addition to consumables (board, pipe, fasteners, emery), for the manufacture of a transformer bench with a frame made of bent metal pipes, a welding machine and a pipe bending machine will be required. And for a polycarbonate canopy - special equipment for cutting, bending. Seat upholstery can be made of boards, plywood, PCB.
There is no single build scheme.Each master makes his own changes to the original drawing: he adds additional stiffeners, changes the angle of the backrest, the width of the table, seats, the shape and angle of inclination of the canopy. It is more practical to first study a ready-made transforming shop from friends, neighbors, or find it on sale.
The most successful model of a transformer bench with a canopy
A fully wooden bench looks a little cumbersome and requires solid wood for the frame. The all-metal bench is very heavy and difficult to move and disassemble. In addition, without metal skills and tools, it is impossible to create a reliable, attractive design. The best option for a transforming bench is a combination of metal for the frame, wood for the seats and table, polycarbonate for the canopy.
A transforming bench with a canopy made of metal
A transforming bench with a length of 160-170 cm, a seating width of about 50 cm. When unfolded, six people can freely intervene. You can make a canopy from wooden planks yourself, and it is better to purchase an arched polycarbonate structure ready-made (it is too difficult to manufacture). The canopy racks are welded to the legs of the "main", fixed bench, which, when folded, will be closer to the back.
- square pipe with a side of 25 mm;
- furniture bolts, washers;
- wooden beam or board;
- welding machine;
- grinder, drill;
- hacksaw, saw, screwdriver, level, plumb line.
It is more convenient to purchase a profile pipe already cut into pieces of 2 m (4 pcs.) And 1.5 m (2 pcs.). Before starting work, the pipes should be cleaned of rust (if any); it will be more difficult to prepare them for painting in the finished product.
The pipes are cut into blanks in accordance with the drawing, then tack welded. In the attachment points, holes are drilled for furniture bolts, the entire structure is mounted. Pre-prepared wooden parts are installed, the bench is checked for stability and convenience. If everything suits you, the structure is dismantled again, welded with permanent seams, cleaned, polished, painted with enamel or metal paint. Metal plates can be welded under the bench legs for greater stability. The wood is sanded, twice covered with paint for outdoor use.
A transforming bench with a canopy made of wood
The connection of wooden parts is performed using self-tapping screws and a metal corner. It is advisable to drill holes for self-tapping screws in advance so that the work looks neater. The greatest load during assembly and disassembly falls on the moving parts.
Registration of a transformer bench with a canopy
The easiest way to decorate a transforming bench is to choose a bright paint or combine several contrasting colors in one product. The natural structure of the wood itself can serve as a decoration. To do this, it is enough to cover the wooden parts of the bench with varnish.
The canopy can be made of wooden planks, thick fabric, polycarbonate panels. When choosing colored polycarbonate, preference should be given to shades that do not distort natural colors. Under a canopy that is bright red or orange, all objects and faces will take on an intimidating reddish hue.
A transforming bench with a canopy is not only a convenient piece of furniture. When properly designed, a folding set of two benches and a table can become the center of garden design. Whether to create a transformer with your own hands or purchase a finished product is up to the home craftsman to decide. If you have self-confidence and proper equipment, then a bench with a canopy will serve as a source of pride for the owner for a long time.