- 1 Pros and cons of round hanging nest swing
- 2 Types of hanging swing-nests
- 3 How to choose a nest swing
- 4 What you need to make a swing with a grid with your own hands
- 5 Swing nest schemes
- 6 Dimensions of swing-nests
- 7 How to weave a nest swing with your own hands
- 8 How to attach a nest swing
- 9 Useful Tips
- 10 Conclusion
- 11 Reviews of swing-nests
A favorite home entertainment for children can be a swing-nest (step-by-step instructions for making a swing-nest with your own hands are given below). The restless temperament of kids requires unforgettable adventures and various attractions, on which you can crawl, lie, swing, climb and go down the rocket down.
Pros and cons of round hanging nest swing
An ideal playground for children includes a complex of several types of objects - traditional and chain suspended swings, nest swings, trampolines, balance weights, spring mechanisms, labyrinths, stairs, slides. Swing-nests have recently become especially popular.
What it is
Swing nests are a semi-rigid structure with a rim and a binding inside in the form of a net. This device is suspended from a strong metal crossbar or beam on thick ropes using powerful carabiners.
In order to make the swing as safe as possible, the seat-rim is braided from a climbing rope or a tow rope. The middle of the center part of the seat is made of ropes intertwined in the form of a spider web, which are fastened with a rim along the entire radius.
Due to the nature of the ride seat, this swing has different names:
- swing "Basket";
- Swing "Web";
- swing "Swing";
- swing "Oval";
- swing "Stork's nest".
Of course, the kids will agree to ride on a simple swing or even on a tire suspended from a tree, but the device in the form of a nest will bring them much more joy and positive emotions.
Features of swing nests
The peculiarity of the nest swing is not only the unusual rounded shape of the seat and its size. "Nest" has a number of advantages over traditional carousels and has additional features for children's entertainment:
- The "basket" is designed for children and even adults.
- The children's swing-nest ride can accommodate several children at the same time from either side.
- The device can swing in any direction, sit, lie, stand and jump.
- With the design of the basket-seat in the form of an oval, the swing can be adapted for the daytime sleep of children as a hammock.
Advantages and disadvantages
The swing-nest has its pros and cons, like any similar construction made with ropes.
- The device is designed for heavy weight (up to 250 kg) and can be used by a whole group of children and adults.
- The structure does not have sharp corners, it is sheathed with strong fabric, high-strength multi-core rope or cable.
- The swing can be used outdoors or at home.
- The device is adapted to any weather conditions, does not deteriorate and does not rust.
- Easy to store, clean.
- Swings are quick to install, they are mobile and do not take up much space (you can take them on a hike, on vacation or on a visit).
- Simple fastening to a sturdy crossbar, accessible support or to wood.
- The nest swing is multifunctional - you can sit, lie, stand or bounce. Do-it-yourself hoop swings are used as a hammock.
There are practically no drawbacks to the nest swing. The only exception can be the increased property of the polypropylene rope to abrasion in places of greatest load and contact with a metal surface. This fact was taken into account in the new models of factory swing-jacks, and now the device is equipped with special bushings that resist abrasion.
Types of hanging swing-nests
For active recreation of children on city playgrounds, in parks, kindergartens and on personal plots, you can find different types of nest swings. All of them have the same structure and differ only in the type of material, the way of weaving baskets and some changes in the design.
Photo selection of different types of suspended swing-nests:
How to choose a nest swing
Children's attraction "Swing-nest" for a summer residence can be made by hand, or you can buy it ready-made. When choosing factory swing designs, you should pay attention to the description of important characteristics:
- Maximum permissible load (carrying capacity).
- Dimensions, shape of the basket.
- Finishing type (materials of manufacture).
- The quality of the materials and fasteners used.
- The presence of a support frame.
- Manufacturing firm.
- Certificate of conformity.
- Operation guarantee.
A set of these important indicators will be able to ensure the safe, most convenient use of the swing-nest for one or several children at once. Pay particular attention to the maximum permissible load of the device for using the swing by adults.
What you need to make a swing with a grid with your own hands
All models of swing-nests have a similar design, however, the materials of manufacture of this or that type of attraction may be different. For self-manufacture of swing nests, the following materials may be required:
- Steel tube, aluminum or plastic gymnastic hoop, reinforced plastic tube, old tire.
- Polyamide fabric, tent fabric, tarpaulin, foam rubber sheet, felt.
- Polyamide or polypropylene rope, climbing cord, rapik, nylon or jute rope, synthetic mesh, chain.
- Metal locks, carabiners, rings, clamps.
Each type of swing requires its own set of materials. As improvised means for the manufacture of the device, you will need a tape measure, scissors, a locksmith's knife, wire cutters, rubberized work gloves, electrical tape, PVA glue.
Swing nest schemes
Drawings of the step-by-step creation of a swing-nest with a round basket and their suspension:
- The initial stage of building a swing is the creation of a base structure for a round basket.
- The intermediate stage is the attachment of the swing basket to the holding hangers.
- The final stage is hanging the basket with hangers from the support frame.
Dimensions of swing-nests
The shape of the basket and the maximum load capacity of a swing directly affects its size. For example, small models of "Nests" with a round basket are designed for a weight of 70 kg, medium-sized devices can support 150 kg, and a large outdoor swing for adults - 250 kg.
Ready-made factory swing-nests have standard dimensions and are designed for a specific weight:
- Round swing-nests are made with a basket diameter of 60-120 cm. Such devices have a carrying capacity of 70-140 kg.
- Swing-nests with an oval shape of a basket are made with dimensions of 100x110 or 120x130 cm. Their maximum carrying capacity is 150-200 kg.
- Swings with a rectangular basket shape are medium-sized, but, as time has shown, they are inconvenient to use, since the swing seat tends to roll over.
When making a swing-nest yourself, it is imperative to take into account the number of children or adults who can use them at the same time. This fact affects the maximum load of the swing structure and, ultimately, their size.
How to weave a nest swing with your own hands
Do-it-yourself weaving of a nest-swing seat is a creative process that does not require strict rules. For this purpose, you can use proven weaving methods, or you can create your own pattern using the available material. A master class on weaving a swing with your own hands of different types is offered below. But before the start of weaving, you should install the base of the basket - the rim.
How to make a round nest swing with your own hands
The swing-nest device consists of 3 main parts:
- Support (frame, beam or tree branch).
- Flexible suspension system (rings, carabiners and hanging slings).
- Directly the basket itself with a wicker seat.
For the rim of the swing, you can use:
- steel hoops;
- metal-plastic pipes;
- PVC pipes;
- bicycle wheels;
- old tires.
The most reliable and durable rim is made of steel material. For this purpose, you need a piece of pipe with a diameter of 13-15 mm and a length of 1-1.5 m (depending on the size of the future basket). You can bend the pipe on a special machine, then weld both ends together and grind the seam. Next, 4 (minimum) rings should be welded to the pipe for attaching the suspension system. The finished basket rim should be painted with a primer enamel for metal surfaces to avoid rust formation. This completes the work on preparing the base of the basket.
After the main element of the basket has been successfully assembled, you can proceed to the most enjoyable work - exterior decoration and decoration of the basket, weaving.
How to weave a nest swing from polyamide rope
Most often, a polyamide rope is used for weaving a basket of swing-nests. It looks great, is not afraid of moisture and temperature extremes, has a smooth surface and perfectly holds tight knots.
To weave a basket of polyamide rope, you need to prepare the following:
- base for a basket with suspension loops (metal or plastic rim);
- polyamide cord - approximately 50 m (depends on the diameter of the basket);
- construction tape;
- work gloves.
To weave a basket of a swing-nest with your own hands, you can use a completely different pattern, but most often they make the "Web" pattern, since it is not difficult to execute and perfectly fulfills its task.
Step-by-step instructions on how to weave a nest swing:
- Pull 2 loops on the rim from below and from above and fix them so that the place of their twisting is exactly in the center of the circle.
- Further, the same action on the circle must be performed on the right and left.
- Then the loops twisted in the center should be evenly distributed over the entire diameter of the base of the basket.
- From a thinner rope, braid the stretched loops with one thread, starting from the middle of the circle along an increasing diameter.
- Paste the rim of the basket with a layer of thin foam rubber, cover it with heat-insulating material and make a braid with a thick polyamide rope around the entire circle.
The finished basket should be fixed to the hangers using carabiners. The length should be no more than 2 m. This model of the nest swing can be hung on a support frame or on a strong tree branch.
How to make a swing from a mesh
A nest swing made of mesh is the easiest way to make a children's attraction. With a strong desire, such a structure can be created and hung in a few hours.
For this you will need:
- rim (steel or metal-plastic, aluminum or plastic hoops) - 1-2 pcs.;
- synthetic fiber mesh - 100x100 cm;
- thick polyamide cord for suspensions (diameter from 4 mm) - 10-15 m;
- work gloves;
- scissors and construction tape.
How to make a nest swing from a mesh, step by step instructions:
- Braid the rim with a cord or trim with a polyamide fabric.
- Then put a piece of synthetic mesh on the rim, wrap it and bend the ends to the middle, fix them.
- On the finished basket, mark the place where the hangers are attached Having made a loop from the cord, go around the rim with it and pass the free end of the suspension through it. Do this with all 4 suspensions.
- Fasten the upper ends of the suspension cord with the fastening rings (or carabiners) of the support frame.
Such a structure can be hung on a tree branch, on a specially prepared support or on a vertical beam of a building, for example, on a terrace or in a gazebo. If you equip the upper ends of the hangers with carabiners, the nest swing can be made mobile.
How to weave a swing from a hoop and rope
Weaving a swing should be carried out in 3 stages - creating a seat mesh, assembling the structure and braiding of hoops, weaving hanging slings.
To create this structure, you need the following:
- aluminum or plastic hoop - 2 pcs.;
- a rope made of synthetic fibers with a diameter of 3 mm or more - 60-80 m (approximately, depends on the diameter of the hoop);
- work gloves;
- construction tape.
The first step in creating a swing-nest basket is weaving the seat mesh. The most commonly used technique is "macrame". The exact patterns for weaving patterns can be selected on the Internet. On each hoop, you should separately create your own drawing of the future seat with sufficient rope tension.
At the second stage, the swing basket is assembled. To do this, both hoops must be folded together and wrapped around the rim with a single sheath. To make a braid with an effort every next 12 turns. Approximately 40 m of rope is used for 1 m of rim.
The third stage is weaving hanging slings. They need to be woven using the macrame technique with twisting (preferably) or straight knots. The length of the hangers depends on the height of the suspension frame, but not more than 2 m. Weave the upper end of the slings into the fastening rings and fasten.
How to attach a nest swing
Swing nests are installed on support frames, suspension beams or trees.
It is best and most reliable to attach the swing-nest to a standard frame made of wooden beams (10x10 cm).
- To begin with, you need to make 2 support posts in the form of the letter "A" from a bar (see diagram below).
- Then the crossbar should be fixed to the support posts. It can be from the same timber or steel pipe. The length of the crossbar is equal to the height of the swing suspension.
- The swing slings must be fixed to the installed crossbar using special suspensions, and they, in turn, must be connected to the basket with large rings or carabiners.
After all the main work is completed, the swing-nest must be tested for the maximum permissible weight. To do this, you need to load the basket with 100 or 200 kg (depending on the carrying capacity of the model) and shake it a little. In the course of such a test, it is possible to determine the real distance from the basket to the ground under load, to check the strength of the suspensions and the stability of the frame support.
Some useful tips for those who want to build a children's entertainment attraction "Swing-Nest" with their own hands:
- Before starting the installation of the swing, you should make sure that the chosen place is safe and accessible for babies.
- Swing nests are best installed on shaky ground (for example, sand), a rubber track or on grass.
- If you plan to hang the swing from a tree, you need to make sure that the branch can withstand the weight of the structure itself and 3-4 babies in total (with a margin).
- The main part of the structure - a basket, must have a high level of strength, taking into account the weight of several kids and an adult. The basket should not deform, jump off the hinges of the device and be injurious.
- The optimal height of the basket from the ground is no more than 0.5 m.
With all the safety of this device, the games of children on the swing-nest must be supervised by an adult.
The step-by-step instructions for making a swing-nest with your own hands, given in this article, will help parents to competently build entertainment for their children and save them from possible mistakes and miscalculations in the design. It is not at all necessary to follow the exact rules for finishing. By showing imagination and skillful talents, you can design beautiful, comfortable and safe attractions for children on your own site or in the city courtyard.
Reviews of swing-nests
How to make a swing-nest with your own hands, video: