It is generally accepted that in order to get a good harvest of vegetables, it is necessary to put a lot of effort into caring for the garden. Digging the soil twice a year, weeding and loosening takes a lot of time and effort from the farmer. But what if there is always not enough time and such traditional worries become a burden? But there is a completely simple solution to such a problem - beds for lazy owners. So called Beds-boxes do not require deep digging, protect vegetable plants from encroachment weed herbs, facilitate watering and loosening. An example of creating boxes, the advantages of using them, as well as a description of other technologies for creating lazy beds are given below in the article.
Framed ridges can be low or high. It is worth noting that the second option is more convenient to maintain, therefore, it is he who is more often preferred by farmers. Box beds allow lazy owners to grow an excellent harvest of vegetables without much time and effort.
Advantages and disadvantages
Recently, lazy beds have become more and more popular. They are preferred by beginners and already experienced farmers. Lazy bed technology has become widespread due to a number of characteristic advantages:
- you can build a bed for lazy owners on any site of soil, stones or even asphalt;
- the technology assumes the presence of a drainage layer, which allows the use of lazy beds in lowlands and wetlands;
- using a special filling high the ridge can be made warmsuitable for early cultivation of heat-loving vegetable crops in greenhouses and in the open field;
- high-bed barriers protect plants from weed seeds and encroachments of other grasses;
- a high lazy bed makes work easier, since there is no need to bend low while sowing and loosening crops;
- priming in boxes does not require regular deep digging, before sowing seeds, diving seedlings, it is enough to just loosen the earth;
- the ability to make do-it-yourself beds with a high level of decorativeness;
- the paths between the ridges do not require weeding, the grass on them can be mowed.
Among the disadvantages of lazy beds, it is worth highlighting the need to use some materials to create the box, as well as the one-time labor costs during the construction of the structure.
The first step in creating lazy beds is to build a box. Its parameters may be different, however, the width of the ridges should not be more than 120 cm, as this may complicate its subsequent maintenance.
The sides of a lazy bed can be made from scrap materialse.g. old bricks, leftovers slate, logs, boards. The building materials market also offers special curb tapes and shields, however, their purchase requires additional cash costs.
The box is filled with layers:
- the first layer is drainage. For its manufacture, you can use expanded clay, broken brick, pebbles;
- long-decomposing organic matter, coarse tops, processed sawdust are laid in the second layer;
- the third layer is foliage, grass, rotted manure;
- the last, fourth layer in the bed-box must be made from fertile soil.
The thickness of each layer should be at least 15 cm. It is recommended to make a layer of fertile soil at least 20 cm thick.
You can create lazy box beds in both spring and autumn. At the same time, the spring beds require the introduction of special bacteria, which will contribute to the accelerated decay of the laid grass. The source of such bacteria can be the drug "Baikal-M". The beds created in the fall do not need the use of special bacteria. The decay process occurs naturally during the autumn-spring period. In order for the autumn beds to be suitable for growing vegetables in early spring, they must be covered with black polyethylene for the winter.
You can use high ridges for growing absolutely all crops, be it cucumbers, tomatoes, root vegetables or strawberries. Also lazy the beds can be mixedplanting different plants in one box.
Box beds are really a great option for lazy and busy owners who do not want to spend a lot of time and energy growing vegetables, but do not mind enjoying burying their crops. So, having taken care of creating the boxes once, you can forget about digging the earth for several years. Weeding of such high ridges is extremely rare, because the soil is protected from the neighborhood with weeds and is inaccessible for self-sowing seeds. During weeding, you do not need to bend low, which means that even an elderly or ailing owner can take care of the beds. Detailed information on how to create such comfortable beds in your garden can be found in the video:
Another option for creating beds for lazy owners allows you to get rid of weeding. It consists in the fact that the free space in the beds is covered with a solid, opaque carpet.
Advantages and disadvantages
The technique for creating such lazy beds is quite young. More often it is used by experimental farmers, however, this method of cultivation has already received a lot of positive feedback, which means it deserves attention.
The advantages of this method include:
- no need to weed the beds;
- creation of favorable conditions for the cultivation of heat-loving crops;
- the ability to plant plants in early spring.
Among the disadvantages of the technology, it is necessary to highlight the financial costs of the material, the complexity of watering.
On lazy the garden bed can be grown any crops, including tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, root vegetables. You can create such unique ridges by performing the following steps:
- after deep digging, it is necessary to form an elevated bed, fill it with mown grass, foliage;
- Cover the prepared ridge with opaque polyethylene or an old carpet. The edges of the material should be fixed with boards, bars or bricks;
- it is necessary to make holes in the coating and sow seeds in them or dive seedlings;
- if seeds of heat-loving crops are sown on a lazy bed in early spring (cucumbers, zucchini), then the holes with seeds are covered with cut-off plastic bottles;
- with the onset of favorable weather, the bottles should be removed, and the film should be left for the entire period of growing the culture.
In more detail, the technology for creating lazy beds is shown in the video:
Photos of beds for lazy owners can be seen below.
A favorable temperature and high humidity are maintained under the film, carpet throughout the entire growing period. The resulting condensation regularly moistens the soil and allows the layer of grass and leaves to rot, turning into a natural organic fertilizer.
It is necessary to water the plants pointwise at the root. Loosening should be done as needed.In the absence of sunlight, the weed does not grow under the film, which means that there is no need to weed the ridges.
Each farmer can independently choose the option of creating lazy beds. So, with a little time you can make beautiful high beds-boxes, which will allow you to get a bountiful harvest with minimal maintenance. In this case, the beds can become a real decoration of the garden. The ridges under the shelter, of course, do not look so gorgeous, but they do not require special skills and a lot of time to create them. Moreover, each option has a number of its advantages, which means that it can be used