Onions are an important vegetable, without which the first and second courses are practically not cooked. Of course, you can buy it in a store, but onions grown by your own hands do not contain any harmful substances, since the owners of plots rarely use chemicals to fertilize the land.
Planting onions before winter in the Moscow region is one of the options for obtaining an early harvest of turnip. But in order to achieve positive results, you need to know some subtleties regarding timing, variety selection and soil preparation. This will be discussed in the article.
Benefits of autumn plantings
Onions are usually planted in spring and autumn. Although planting onions before winter in the Moscow region have much more positive sides. Let's figure it out:
- Buying sets in the spring, you have to pay a lot of money, because the cost includes storage costs.
- Planting onions in winter, the harvest in the Moscow region can be obtained almost a month earlier than with traditional spring planting.
- Since the onions are harvested in late June - early July, other fast-growing crops can be planted in the area where the bulbs were harvested. And this is an increase in the yield.
- Onions planted in the fall are not damaged by such a pest as the onion fly, since by the time of work its years are over. And in the spring, when the bulbs get stronger, the pest is no longer so terrible.
- Green feathers shoot out of the ground after the snow melts and the ground is warmed up by the spring sun. Weeds do not keep pace with the growth of onions and are not able to harm.
- Fresh onion feathers, rich in vitamins, can be cut in early May, which is very important in the Moscow region.
Of course, an excellent harvest of onions in the suburbs of Moscow or in another region of Russia is possible if the work is completed on time and the correct varieties of sevka are selected. It should be noted that more and more owners of their own plots prefer planting onions in the winter.
Determining the terms
Planting onions in the winter in the Moscow region is practically the same as in other regions of Russia. But the timing, of course, will differ from the southern territories. The thing is that in winter, frosts often drop below -20 degrees, and the snow cover does not always satisfy gardeners. Therefore, winter planting sevka in the suburbs need additional shelter.
If you live in the Moscow region, then when choosing the timing of planting, the seed should be started in the second decade of September and completed by October 25. You need to focus on such a period of time in 2019 as well. By lunar calendar it is advised to start landing on October 6-12 and 16-24. Residents of the Moscow region in 2019 can still use November 4 and 7, but these are deadlines.
Even the most experienced gardener will not be able to name the exact dates of planting in the Moscow region, since he does not know how to regulate the weather. Indeed, in different years at the same date, the climate is not the same. Snow falls in one year, the temperature is high in another.
The best varieties of onions for winter planting
Once you determine when to plant onions before winter, you need to think about the variety of sevka. You need to focus on onions zoned in the Moscow region, in this case, a good harvest is guaranteed:
- sevok is able to tolerate frost;
- grows faster in spring;
- sick less.
The best varieties
Planting onions in the fall in the suburbs with the following planting material:
- Ellan has a round-flattened shape, the upper scales are yellow. The variety is early maturing, keeping quality for 12 months.
- Strigunovsky also belongs to varieties of early ripening, the bulbs are dense, with a pungent taste.
- Arzamas is the oldest variety, with up to three bulbs in the nest.
- Myachkovsky-300 it is distinguished by excellent transportability and keeping quality.
- Bessonovsky started growing back in 1943. The bulbs are flattened, lying, transportable.
- Odintsovets - a variety of medium ripening, universal purpose. 2-3 onions are formed in the nest.
- Stuttgarten Riesen grows up to 250 grams, bulbs contain a large amount of vitamin C.
- Bulbs Chalcedony They have a sharp taste and excellent keeping quality. The scales are brown with bronze.
If you are planting an onion for the first time in the winter in the suburbs, take several varieties in order to then decide which onion works best.
Where to plant
Before planting onions for the winter in the Moscow region, as in any other region, you need to think about the location of the beds. In addition, you need to know after which crops this plant grows best.
It is not recommended to plant after:
- parsley and celery;
- potatoes and red clover;
The fact is that the root system of these plants attracts nematode larvae.
But such predecessors will help grow a rich harvest of onions. So you can plant the sevok after:
- beans and peas;
- corn and tomatoes;
- salad and mustard;
- rapeseed and cucumbers;
- all types of cabbage.
In addition, legumes and mustard will enrich the soil with easily assimilable nitrogen.
Cooking the beds
Ridges before sowing onions in the winter in the Moscow region are dug up, if necessary, mineral fertilizers are added, especially if the soil is depleted. Most often, an ecofoska is added, for each square from 15 to 20 grams. Wood ash is introduced immediately before planting.
The bed is leveled, grooves are made. Despite the fact that the onion fly does not bother the bulbs, it is still advisable to dust the furrows with makhorka. Then spill it with thick potassium permanganate.
After the bulkhead, oat bulbs are left (up to 1 cm in diameter) and sets - (1-3 cm in diameter). Planting material is carefully examined, rejecting suspicious specimens. Be sure to disinfect the seed in a solution of salt and copper sulfate. You need to keep it for no more than 5 minutes so that the roots do not have time to wake up.
It is necessary to plant onions in a dry form before winter, soaking is excluded, as well as pruning, so as not to bring the infection inside. In addition, water can get into the cut off top, and such planting material can simply dry out.
The scheme for planting onions before winter in the Moscow region is somewhat different. Furrows are made in increments of up to 20 cm, and the bulb itself must be deepened by 5 centimeters. In this case, the plant will be better protected from the winter cold. Sevok is planted at a distance of 5-7 cm, otherwise the bulbs will interfere with each other during growth.
Having laid out the bulbs in the grooves, they are sprinkled with earth, but there is no need to water. If after 10 days it does not rain, then you need to slightly moisten the soil.
Before the onset of frost, beds with onions grown in the regions of central Russia must be mulched with straw, hay, needles, sawdust or dry leaves. Thanks to this shelter, heat is retained, which means that the first frosts will not damage the bulbs.
And, of course, to grow a rich harvest of onions in the Moscow region, you need to listen to the weather forecast. If forecasters do not promise snow in the near future, then you will have to make additional shelter with the help of film. When heavy snowfalls begin, this covering material will have to be removed.
Interesting video about planting onions before winter:
Many gardeners living in the Moscow region and other regions of central Russia do not risk planting onions before winter, they are afraid that frosts will destroy them. We hope that the material of our article will dissuade skeptics, and the number of those who plant onions in the fall will increase.
The main thing is to believe in yourself, follow the recommendations and everything will work out. Good luck everyone!