- 1 Preparing propolis for storage
- 2 How to store propolis
- 3 How much propolis is stored
- 4 How to understand that propolis has deteriorated
- 5 Conclusion
Propolis or uza is a bee product. Organic glue is used by bees to seal the hive and honeycomb to maintain a constant temperature inside. Bees collect a special substance from the buds and branches of birch, conifers, chestnuts, flowers. The glue consists of essential oils and resins with antibacterial action. In order for the bee product not to lose its medicinal properties, it is necessary to store propolis at home in compliance with certain rules.
Preparing propolis for storage
The preparatory work for storing the bonds is carried out immediately after collecting the bee product from the frames. Bee glue is removed from June to August. The slats are preliminarily disassembled, the substance is cleaned from them. Small briquettes are formed from propolis, placed in plastic bags.
Raw materials are separated from extraneous fragments, large fractions are crushed using a centrifuge. Ready for storage at home, propolis is obtained by purification using the following technology:
- The mass is ground to a powder state.
- Pour into a container, pour cold water, mix.
- Leave for several hours to settle.
- The bee product will settle to the bottom of the container, small fragments of wax and foreign matter will remain on the surface of the water.
- Water along with impurities is carefully drained.
- The raw materials are laid out on a napkin to evaporate the remaining moisture.
- Small balls are formed from the purified organic matter for further storage.
Only fresh propolis has healing properties. The quality of the bee product is determined according to the following criteria:
- the substance is outwardly similar to wax, viscous;
- color - brown with a dark gray tint. If the composition is dominated by perga propolis will be yellow, the quality of such a product is lower;
- the smell of resin, essential oils, honey predominates;
- bitter taste;
How to store propolis
The shelf life of bee propolis depends on compliance with the rules of storage at home. The substance will not lose its biological properties when a number of recommendations are followed:
- The storage location must be protected from ultraviolet radiation, the container must be dark, not transmitting light, since part of the active components is destroyed under the influence of sunlight.
- The optimum air humidity is 65%.
- Organic matter retains properties at low temperatures, but does not tolerate a sharp change in temperature conditions, a stable indicator is recommended not higher than +230 C.
- Isolation from chemicals, spices, household chemicals is mandatory during storage. Uza absorbs odors and vapors, the healing properties are reduced due to toxic compounds. The quality deteriorates significantly.
Where to store propolis
The main task for storage at home is that the substance does not lose its active components and structure. It is not recommended to keep the uzu:
- In kitchen cabinets close to radiators and ovens.Temperature changes during storage of organic glue lead to a partial loss of ether compounds.
- In the section of the kitchen table, located near the sanitary point (garbage chute, sewerage).
- On the shelf next to household chemicals.
- In the freezer. The properties of the substance will be preserved, but some of the adhesive substances will be lost, the structure will become brittle, it will crumble.
- There is high humidity in the refrigerator, and this factor is unacceptable during storage. Shelf life of propolis in the refrigerator at +40 C will not increase, but there is a risk of temperature differences.
The best option for home storage is a dark storage room with a constant temperature and normal humidity.
How to store propolis
Properly chosen packaging plays an important role in home storage. Suitable material:
- blank album sheets or parchment;
- baking paper;
- packing packages.
Do not use newspapers or magazines for storage, ink contains lead.
Organic glue in the form of a powder is placed in a bag or envelope; ceramic containers with a tight lid are also used to store the bulk mass. More often propolis is stored in the form of a small ball or stick, individually packaged. The packaged bee product is placed for storage in a cardboard or wooden box, a container made of dark plastic. Close the lid tightly, remove. The liquid bee product is stored in a bottle with dark glass. To prevent the ingress of ultraviolet radiation, the surface of the container is wrapped with a dark cloth or painted over.
How much propolis is stored
The largest concentration of essential oils in the bundle, harvested in the fall. Bee glue retains active substances for up to 7 years. After 2 years, the vitamin composition changes, passes into other compounds, the bee enzymes cease to be active, but the substance does not lose its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial properties.
The medicinal qualities of alcoholic tinctures, ointments are also preserved for a long time. An exception is water-based products. The shelf life of bee propolis in such compounds is no more than 30 days when stored in a refrigerator.
Shelf life of propolis in dry form
Raw materials are harvested for medicinal purposes. Products for internal and external use are made from the powder. The shelf life of natural dry propolis at home is about 8 years when stored in a sealed package and maintaining the required air humidity. Uza is stored longer than other forms of bee products.
Shelf life of propolis in solid form
The solid form has a plastic sticky texture. The medicine is formed in the form of rounded balls, lozenges or short small sticks. Each piece must be wrapped in a package. Solid propolis is more susceptible to environmental influences, the shelf life does not exceed six years. This method of harvesting is used by beekeepers in personal apiaries.
Shelf life of propolis tincture on alcohol
Essential oils dissolve best in ethyl alcohol, so it is taken as the basis for medicinal tinctures. The product is light brown with a red tint. At home, they are stored in a glass or ceramic container with a hermetically sealed lid. The glass should be dark. The shelf life of alcohol tincture is 4 years, provided that the temperature is not higher than +150 C.
How long propolis is stored in the form of an ointment
To prepare the ointment, petroleum jelly or fish oil is taken as a basis. Local antibacterial agent. The ointment lasts longer without losing its medicinal qualities, provided that the permissible air humidity (55%) is observed. The temperature regime does not matter, the main condition is the absence of ultraviolet radiation. The shelf life of a home-made product is no more than 2 years. If signs of mold appear on the surface, the ointment is unsuitable for use.
Shelf life of propolis oil
A mixture of butter with propolis is used for skin therapy, it is used orally to treat ulcers and erosions of the digestive system, to relieve foci of inflammation in tuberculosis, add to hot milk for bronchitis. The oil in a hermetically sealed container is placed in the refrigerator for storage for no more than 3 months.
How to understand that propolis has deteriorated
After the expiration date of propolis, it is not recommended to use it. A bee product can deteriorate at home much earlier than the shelf life for the following reasons:
- poor quality product;
- high humidity in the room;
- temperature changes;
- bright sunlight hitting propolis.
Determine the unsuitability by the composition of the texture and visual signs. The bee product darkens, loses its characteristic odor, the plastic mass becomes brittle, easily kneaded to a powder state. The substance has lost its medicinal value, it is thrown away.
It is necessary to store propolis at home in compliance with certain norms, then the bee product will not lose its medicinal composition for a long time. Uza has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial properties, the active substances that make up the composition are involved in the process of hematopoiesis. Applied in the form of ointments, alcohol tinctures, oils. There are different shelf life for each dosage form.